Saturday, October 18, 2008

Home is where the heart is

I’m sure all of you stayed in caravan parks as kids- scorching summer days, cramped sites, not a blade of grass in sight, with the amenities block half a kilometre away. Once you had walked that 500 metres, you were greeted with a toilet that was in urgent need of repair and thongs a must while showering.
I am happy to report that caravan parks have come along way since those heady days. Perhaps we have to thank the Grey Nomads, or perhaps we now live in age where we expect more. I have likened our residences to a resort. Each caravan park so far has boasted superior grounds and facilities. The amenities clean and modern, the grounds landscaped, complete with pool, tennis court, recreation room and some even mini golf! The ‘camp kitchens’ mostly contain a microwave- very handy to reheat leftovers when we are knackered from a day of exploring.
I don’t expect all our stays to be in such luxurious surrounds, some will be a tad more basic- like our current abode in Hervey Bay. I’m still not quite sure what to make of Hervey Bay. As we drove along the Esplanade, the beachfront parks, shops and dining options were certainly very inviting. It was just the people looked a little on the ‘welfare’ side of life. Any negativity was soon displaced though as we set up camp a mere 20 metres from the beach. As if on cue two ducks (Black Pacific Ducks according to my ‘bird book’) flew in to greet me. They obviously get fed by some campers, as they waddled right up to me, wagging their tails as any friendly dog would. I love ducks, so I was sold.
Hervey Bay is the whale watching capital of Australia, and after seeing photos our neighbour took while on tour, we have now booked. Tomorrow morn

Mackay pier

we get picked up ‘out the front’ for a day on the M.V Mikat- a 20 metre catamaran. Tomorrow is actually the last day of the season, but we are guaranteed sightings of mighty humpback whales and their calves. Hopefully we will have some amazing photos to post very soon!
There is certainly much to offer in this region, and Monday will see us take off to explore the world’s largest sand island- Fraser Island. Dave will get to engage 4WD once again, as we explore the unending wilderness. We are leaving our ‘home’ on the mainland and will enjoy 3 nights in a ‘real resort’.
Hervey Bay is growing on me, she certainly is beautiful- as I type now, I am looking out to sea, watching the sun set creating a glittering display across the water. I smile at Dave, lost in a sea of love, happy that we get to share these amazing experiences together, no matter where we are.



Pic 1 above: Leisa & Mary Poppins at Maryborough Pic 2 above: 'Sausage Tree' (native to Mozambique)- click to enlarge

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Glad to hear you are making use of your bird book. You wont be able to bag me out in future.

Keep smiling and stay away from brown snakesxx