Friday, October 10, 2008

CRIKEY!!!

We all have childhood memories, some clouded over the years and some romanticised having been viewed through a child’s starry eyes. Having been to the Sunshine Coast last time over 30 years ago, my memories consist of balmy days with extended family, visiting the many attractions this region has to offer. As a little girl, I went to the Big Pineapple- the memory is hazy, but I do remember it been a sunny day abuzz with people, plenty of things to see and do, topped off with a Pineapple Sundae and a little purse that Mum bought me in the shape of a pineapple. This QLD was a great state!
Studying the map on our way to Noosa, I saw that the Big Pineapple was only a very short detour. Butterflies grew in my stomach as I was soon to be where I had experienced so much joy as a child. It sent me back to a happy place, one where I was safe with Mum and Dad on a family holiday. We pulled up in the carpark, the Big Pineapple in sight- even after all these years, it was still ‘big’. A smile stretched across my face.
However, as an adult, I guess we see things through different eyes. I would like to suggest to one and all- NEVER go back to your childhood. Thirty odd years have not been kind to the Big Pineapple. The building smelt of tourist decay,

The Big Pineapple, still big compared to me, but not so awesome....

the yellow paint giving off the sense of sour milk and not sunshine. Were once counters where filled with every ‘pineapple’ souvenir possible, they are now filled with cheap and very tacky items- most of which have nothing to do with pineapples. Not quite sure why you would want to buy a Nefertiti bust from here........... The only other visitors were a bus load of pensioners, sitting in silence eating ice cream and looking as sombre and decayed as their surrounds. But worst of all- there were no pineapple coasters to go with my Big Banana place mats! My quest will have to continue at the Big Cow. There were no pineapple shaped purses either....
It seems today’s tourist needs adrenalin and a touch of the exotic to be satisfied. Something that Australia Zoo certainly offers. I was very impressed with this zoo and rate it much higher than Taronga Zoo. Although not nearly as many animals as Taronga, the exhibits are much more ‘viewer friendly’ as are the animals! Perhaps because it was a cool, rainy day that the animals were active and seemed to revel in human interaction. I think I made David take 50 photos of me patting and playing with the kangaroos and wallabies. My favourite is the Eastern Grey, and I spent much time with a new friend I named Skippy.

The show in the Crocoseum was well worth the entry fee, with
Croc show, Australia Zoo

elephants, birds and of course crocs! Even the Koalas up here are cuter than their southern cousins- they are smaller and lighter in colour. I also got to make

Me and Skip, Australia Zoo

a new friend with Kenny the Koala too. After a fun filled day we arrived in Noosa, took a walk down Hastings Street and enjoyed a glass of fine wine in a Parisian style cafe. As we ambled along the beachside boardwalk, then past the shops spruiking pretty dresses and trinkets, I got a good feeling we are going to enjoy it here- even if it is raining and predicted to do so for the next few days!

1 comment:

jillo said...

Hey Leis (and Dave),

Did you notice inside the "Big Pineapple" that the cobwebs are still there form the 70's!!!!

Stay safe...xxx