Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Go Manly

Ahh, we have left the city and are once again enjoying life by the seaside on Bribie Island. Whilst, we have had sunny days, it is a little frustrating to have 35 degree days when there is no beach in sight and now we have cooler weather. But Brisbane was certainly kind to us- or rather our hosts- Mark & Kirrily.
Mark is a pilot in the Air Force (a cute boy in uniform), and Dave had the enviable pleasure of attending the Amberley Air Show with him. While the girls took off scouting antique shops, the boys braved the crowds and apparently saw some amazing air displays. Been with Mark was great as Dave got a real behind the scenes look at the base and girls with very short skirts I hear!
Amberley Air Show

Then it was home to watch my beloved Manly WIN the 2008 Premiership. I still can’t believe after years of been either out at the game, or at ‘Kel & Dean’s Grand final BBQ’ that I was in Brisbane for this momentous occasion. I was a little emotional as I know how much my belated father loved Manly, and this would have been a special day for him. So there I sat watching the Grand Final on a TV the size of a postage stamp, surrounded by Queenslanders and AFL fans. To amuse myself and feel the NRL spirit I had a text rally with Peter Wynn (Parra player in the 80’s). I suggested the win made up for 82 & 83 (when Parra won, oohhhh how we hated them). He didn’t seem to agree. I had tears of joy, he claims to have had tears of blood.
All over for another year now, and life goes on. Today we explored the Eumundi Markets- the markets are sensational, however I felt that Dr Who had picked me up in his tardis and transported me to peak hour Sydney (no we haven’t been eating mushrooms). As far as the eye could see there where cars parked in every street, park and crevice imaginable. Who would have thought that there were that many other unemployed nomads out there (it is no longer school hols here). We were really taken aback by the sheer number of people. I saw many, many, many things that I would have loved to have bought, but with a home the size of an amoeba it is just not possible. Although I did still manage to give the credit card a work out.
After a visit to the Buderim Ginger Factory at Yandina, we took in the beauty of the Glasshouse Mountains. How did Flinders manage to scale these beasts with his men?

Glasshouse Mountains

The 800m walk at the lookout was enough for me. He probably got lost and trudged on for hours I suspect- no women would have been about to ask for directions...........


Glasshouse Mountains

Now back at ‘home’ we are been serenaded by a flock of Crows. Or rather been screeched at every dusk and dawn. Apparently Crows don’t attack people, but we watch as they swoop on passers by. We have been told the Crows landed two people in hospital last week, with head injuries. We are parked quite close to their tree, but so far they have left us alone. Perhaps they know we are ‘Twitchers’, or perhaps they feel I am being hassled enough by the Bush Turkeys. I swear they have followed me from Sawtell- they were even swarms of them at Graceville (Brisbane).
Off for a day at the beach on Thursday and Australia Zoo on Friday.

1 comment:

The Buderim Blog said...

Hey there Leisa, You don't know me but I just wanted to let you know, the Ginger Factory left Buderim over 20 years ago. It moved to Yandina.
I was also at the Amberley Airshow, it was really cool - though the day was really hot. That F111 dumps and burns a 44 gallon drum per second!
All the best, Steve