Saturday, November 1, 2008

Good Vibes

As we travel around this big ol’ country, I have been curious as to whether I would feel that ‘home vibe’, i.e that unexplainable, yet content feeling that I could live there. Rockhampton exuded that vibe for both Dave and I- not that we are looking to move or settle down!
The city is quite beautiful, and we took an afternoon to picnic in the Botanic Gardens. The gardens are quite large and include a serene Japanese Garden, a lush fernery, which was Dave’s favourite, amongst the traditional.

Fernery, Rockhampton Botanic Gardens

The Tropical Fruit section yielded many exotic varieties, with many fruiting. The attendant hadn’t had a chance to pick any fruit for a few days (we got chatting), so never fear we availed ourselves of some limes- both Spanish and Tahitian! We discovered the gardens have a ‘free’ zoo attached, with many native species and a couple of extras thrown in like the chimps- just watch they don’t spit on you!

Koalas, Rockhampton Botanic Gardens

We actually stayed about 20kms out of ‘Rocky’ at Capricorn Caves- right in the bush.

Capricorn Caves

If you have been following my blog, you may remember that bush turkeys have been following me. Our campsite must have been near a mating couple. A rather bold male made a bee line for me, I got up to move out of his way, but he diverted towards me. At first I briskly walked in the opposite direction, but with each step I took the turkey got closer. I was soon in a sprint, the turkey also full pelt, feathers flapping and beak locked firmly in position for my butt. I yelled for Dave, but he just laughed as I sailed by. Through tears of laughter he advised me to stand firm, stamp my feet and yell at the turkey. Ha, now who had the power. I was like a woman possessed, as I chased the turkey, screaming like a banshee. He didn’t bother me again.... We did do a tour of the caves, and it was great to learn the history of the area, but having visited many a limestone cave, I would not recommend these ones as a ‘must see’. However, these caves and Mt Etna have been the site of a long battle to save such. They are home to 5 species of bat, including the rare ghost bat, and a variety of fern that can now only be found here- no where else in Australia does this particular variety grow. The now Mt Etna National Park is certainly important if we want to save some of our precious flora and fauna.
After a couple of nights, we were ready for our first night of ‘free camping’- i.e not in a caravan park. We picked Carmila Beach, which came recommended. The spot is beautiful- right on the beach with much natural bush to ensure that you are not in view of other ‘squatters’.

Free camp, Carmila Beach

With the sun beating down, it was a welcome relief to feel the cool sea breeze, but alas we could not enter the water (or sunbake for that matter). We are in north QLD- croc territory. A grumpy croc was in residence near the boat ramp. Far enough away from our campsite, but not by water........ but, if Mr Grumps had not been around the ocean was still off limits- Box Jelly Fish. The sign didn’t make me feel too secure- ‘Give mouth to mouth, don’t give up- most victims do recover’. ‘Most’, but not all.

DANGER- Stingers. Can cause death!

The beachfront was pretty deserted down our end- just us and a couple of nudists. We haven’t ventured that far yet, but I guess it saves on the washing. Dave through in a line again, but still no fish for dinner, perhaps he was distracted........
I must admit I really enjoyed the free camping! (Some of you will be shocked). The serenity, the isolation, the peace and quiet! The sky at night was amazing, all the more so as a distant bushfire exuded a red glow. I guess we are both just feeling very centred and have changed our perspective (just about anything makes me happy these days). The thing about ‘walkabout’, I have learned, is that when you lose connection with yourself, you go walkabout. You leave the physical world behind and you find the other half of yourself, and then when you are one again, you can continue on the journey of life (or keep travelling!)
For now we are enjoying every bit of our journey, and have learnt the language of the road. As we are a ‘beast’ on the highway, Dave will often turn on his right indicator when it is safe for the car behind to overtake us. To thank us the car, now in front, will turn on his right, then left indicator once each. To say no worries, we do the same.

No comments: