Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Get me a BB Gun

Well we have certainly tested out the camper and our relationship, having endured torrential rain and gale force winds at Soldiers Point (Port Stephens). The camper didn’t leak, and we remained warm and cosy- in fact the camper is more spacious than it seems. Our first night, while mother nature did her best to dampen our spirits, we cooked a dahl soup on our stove and watched Channel 7 (the only signal we could receive), followed by episodes of Black Adder, all from the comfort of our ‘loungeroom’.
Having spent our budget for the next 3 months (not much else to do in the rain..), a couple of days later we awoke to blue sunny skies. Alas, the sounds of lawnmowers in the city have been replaced by birds in the bush. Mind you the trill of a honeyeater is a nice way to rise and meet the new day- who cares that it is early. Having exhausted ourselves during the day, we aren’t exactly going to bed that late. (Don’t tell anyone I feel asleep at 8.30pm on Saturday night, and slept for 11 hours- best sleep ever!). Damm birds, could have slept longer.............
Our next port of call was Harrington. I spent many a school holiday here, and the town has not changed one bit (shows I am not really that old.....). Although a new development ‘Harrington Waters’ is underway, complete with a church in the centre of the shopping complex
Harrington Waters- pic shows the church in the middle of the shopping centre

Sunday’s just aren’t complete without God and a bag of groceries. Took some photos, the layout is too bizzare for words.We have only been away for a week, yet it feels like Sydney was another lifetime ago (in a good way). I could get very used to this lifestyle, although as I type I am surrounded by birds- the bush turkey I am not a fan of. Dave laughed at me as a screamed for him to ‘save me’, vicious looking animal...... We have certainly got into the ‘nature’ mindset- Dave has been pointing out and taking photos of birds- Willy Wag Tail, Blue Wren, Sea Eagle, Finches to name but a few. Next we will be joining the local twitters club and walking with binoculars around our necks!
And what is with me asking ‘What would you like for tea?’- I have never called ‘dinner’ tea in all my life- it is something my Granny used to say. I guess we are just turning into Grey Nomads........ Speaking of ‘tea’- food has never tasted so good. Is it because I am soaking in the atmosphere, it seems for the first time, really seeing and tasting, or is it because the produce bought from a local market is that much fresher and tastier. A mixture of both I suggest. I have never enjoyed a Corona quite like the one sitting on the pier as the sun was setting, the water glistening, pelicans bobbing by, as the day drew to a close.
Crowdy Head, just north of Harrington is one of the NSW coasts most magical places. A two hour amble through the national park, took us through terrain that ranged from rainforest, to bush to wild cliff faces, concluding in the most idyllic camping ground at Diamond Head. Lazy kangaroos literally everywhere, clean amenities and a short walk to a secluded, sandy beach extending to the headland, the scenery just magical.

Diamond Head, looking towards Crowdy Head

It is here that I also drove ‘the beast’ for the first time. Not quite ready for the highway, but with more practice I will soon be able to plan my escape... err.... I mean retrieve supplies.
Crowdy Head, as with most country towns, is full of genuinely friendly locals, a special mention to John ‘the driver’ at the local fish co-op. Some exceptional service, and a bagful of prawns.
Today we arrived in Sawtell (Coffs Harbour), at last the days are getting warmer. Off with the jeans and on with shorts and thongs. Tomorrow we hit the beach- thank heaven I am far away from you lot when this white bod sees the sun for the first time!
Promise to write more regular, I will sign off for now, as I watch a bird peck at the insects on our windscreen...........

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys are well on your way now! And I agree about the ugly bird, those things are scary looking! Looking forward to all the sun and surf tails, you must be loving the sun now. I am still very jealous!!!! xx