Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chhh-hhhh-anges

People often go away to ‘discover’ themselves. I have discovered I am getting old and have a couple of grey hairs. Don’t get me wrong- although a Taurean I am relishing getting older- I don’t feel like a loser if I stay home on a Saturday night and I now actually look forward to days where I don’t ‘have’ to drink. It is just that as I look at all the young svelte girls, I realise that I will never again be that girl that people take a second look at. Now, they only take a second look as if to say ‘I can’t believe she has teamed blue trackie dacks, red sloppy joe and pink ugg boots’.............
But, back to the grey hair- this actually came as a bit of a shock. I have enjoyed teasing my beloved for the past few months about his ‘pepper’ look, never really thinking he would get the chance to do it back. Last week, I took myself off to get back to my natural colour- blonde. I made a booking at the local Graceville Coiffure to have my roots touched up... you know streaks. Now back in Sydney my hairdresser would have known I meant foils, but as the hairdresser sprayed my hair and put talc in a cap, I thought what the heck- I haven’t had my head stabbed at with a crochet hook for years. The hairdresser even marvelled at what a good decision I had made- apparently ‘streaks’ last longer than ‘foils’. We were getting on well, she is going out with a younger man and we joked and laughed at the maintenance girls do to keep themselves looking ageless. I commented that my man had some grey hairs, but it doesn’t bother him or me. Ha- lucky I don’t have any. Then came the blow. Apparently I have two grey hairs, hidden at the very back of my head. I made her repeat this several times. I dare not look, the pain of seeing my locks turn grey too unbearable. No one else has seen them either........... perhaps they aren’t really there.............. what if she was playing a cruel joke?
But I am relishing the new discoveries that been away from home brings. I used to know every freckle on my body, every one of the six. Now as the sun damage becomes more apparent, I find new freckles with the dawn of each new day. Oh well, I could play join the dots for hours and wonder who’s skin this is. Dave is also noticing how different we are. Once brave enough to take on a jungle curry and win, he has been left suffering ‘downstairs’ for two days from a spicy thai dinner on Friday night. However, we have been savouring new foods and flavours, even trying a fruit called Black Sopate. Known as ‘chocolate fruit’ and native to Brazil, it has a texture of chocolate mousse and a flavour of chocolate! True! However, I did draw the line at the chicken and frog wontons, on our outing to Vietnam, I mean Inala. Dave ventured into the world’s best seafood shop and marvelled at the wonders of the deep. I didn’t get to see any, I got as far as the entrance before I had to ran for a bush in the parking lot. Dam weak stomach.
Must go- going to check out what bird is looking at me from my bird book. Yes, Kirrily bought me such an item. Old age certainly creeps up fast..............
No photos to this entry- I may have got ‘old’ comments

1 comment:

Dave said...

What grey hair?

And it was a Jungle curry and we requested "Thai hot"...and I had left overs for lunch and dinner the following day!